Please be aware that SuperNova customers MUST upgrade to SuperNova 15 BEFORE upgrading to Windows 10. Microsoft is blocking the free Windows 10 upgrades where the computer has any screen reader or screen magnifier that is NOT currently compatible with Windows 10. This block applies to ALL assistive technology solutions and is designed to ensure that customers' Windows PCs remain accessible.
If your eyes tire easily or your sight flags as the day goes on, SuperNova Magnifier and Speech can take the strain for you. Switch on SuperNova's speech, sit back and give your eyes a rest. Adjust the amount of magnification and speech as your sight varies or as you switch to tasks that require different attention to detail.
- Get started quickly with: Setup Wizard and CAPS+F1 Help
- Crystal Clear ‘True Font’ Magnification
- Touchscreen Magnification
- Color and Visual Highlighting
- Multiple Monitor Support
- Magnify and Read in Comfort
- Scan and Read Aloud
- Human Sounding Speech
- Bookshelf and Launch Pad
Get Started Quickly
SuperNova comes with everything you need to get you up and running right away. The Setup Wizard walks you through the most commonly changed SuperNova settings. Choose your preferences for magnification, visual, speech, start-up, control panel and the keyboard. Skip steps, or go back at any time. The wizard runs automatically the first time you launch SuperNova, or call it any time from the SuperNova Help menu. CAPS+F1 Help menu provides convenient access to detailed descriptions of completing tasks when you're in popular applications such as Microsoft Office and on the web. In addition CAPS+F1 includes hotkeys, links to web resources, Windows Basics, SuperNova Manual and Notes. Key Describe Mode is great for beginners learning their way around the keyboard. While in Key Describe Mode, simply press keys on the keyboard and SuperNova will speak what those keys do, but without actually carrying out the function.
Back to Top
Crystal Clear ‘True Font’ Magnification
SuperNova's True Font technology looks beautifully smooth even on the largest displays. Magnify text and images from 1.2 all the way up to 64 times. And because everyone's eyesight is different, magnification comes in 28 sizes so you can find a perfect fit. Zoom in and out as much as you need with a touch of a key, spin of the mouse wheel or by clicking the handy buttons on screen.
8 magnifier views keep documents and apps in perspective. Show your magnification:
- Full screen
- Split screen (top, bottom, left or right magnified)
- Fixed window
- Movable magnifying glassc
The rest of the screen shows the original size, unmagnified application, keeping the context clear. The magnifier view can be resized and repositioned so you can quickly and easily control where on screen the magnifier appears.
Automatic tracking magnifies the action so you can see what you are doing at all times. As you move your mouse pointer, type in text, or tab between links - magnifier follows seamlessly so you can always see where you are working.
Control the Magnifier with Simple Keystrokes. Jump to: edges, corners or the center of the original screen. You can save and restore your magnified position, or reserve a special hooked area to keep a close eye on the clock, document word count or spread sheet formula bar. And you can hide hooked areas with a hotkey so they only appear when you want them.
Smooth Panning. Ideal for unsteady hands or anyone who finds mouse movements difficult to follow. Simple keystrokes gently slide the magnifier: up, down, left or right. Press repeatedly to increase speed. When you want to stop simply release the keys.
Back to Top
Tablets and touch screen laptop access with SuperNova is effortless:
- Use 1 finger to pan SuperNova’s magnifier around documents and apps
- Use 2 fingers to pinch and stretch, changing the amount of magnification in any app
- Use 3 fingers to tap and change the colours and find more magnifier options
Back to Top
Color and Visual Highlighting
24 Color Schemes Choose from 24 carefully designed color schemes each designed to reduce glare and maximize your comfort while reading. Alter the appearance of colors on your screen, preserving your original document colors for printing. Or make your own scheme by adjusting brightness, contrast or color tint. Color Replace can swap colors to show only the shades you recognize, making reading web pages easy again.
High-Vis Mouse Pointers. Mouse pointers which are easy to see but keep out your way. Choose from 4 popular mouse pointer color schemes or create your own scheme to make the mouse pointer easy to see. You can set the pointer size independent of your magnification level so your text is never hidden by the mouse. With over 200 pointer images included, your mouse pointer has never been so flexible.
Highlight the Mouse, Cursor, Word & More. Highlighting shows your place at a glance. Distinctive shapes and colors draw attention to the mouse pointer, cursor, word, line, Windows focus and Dolphin Cursor so you or a sighted colleague or trainer can easily see where in your application you are working.
Highlighting is ideal for anyone who loses their place, or teaches or trainers wanting to see at a glance where students are working. Highlighting can be toggled off and on with a hotkey or click of a button.
6 carefully balanced highlighting schemes are included to draw attention to where the action is on screen. Make your own focus highlighting scheme selecting shape, color, tint, size, when the highlight is shown and level of transparency.
Back to Top
Multiple Monitor Support
Get more done with multiple monitors. Magnify on one, two or as many displays as required. Multi-task with each magnified document on separate screens; project presentations original size to sighted audiences keeping speaker notes magnified on your laptop; work closely with a trainer or colleague who can follow a clone of your display, but at regular size.
Side by Side. Side by Side works with the Windows Extended Desktop to show each application magnified on a separate screen, so you never run out of desktop space. Designed for magnification users who need to keep track of simultaneous tasks. Keep an eye on incoming messages on one monitor, prepare your documents on a second, and have a web browser or spreadsheet opened on a third. The number of monitors and which applications go where is entirely up to you. Each application is tracked separately so you don’t lose your place.
Mouse Buffer. Mouse Buffer means you don’t lose your pointer when using applications Side by Side. SuperNova’s unique mouse buffer means the pointer only moves on to a different screen when you insist. Switch monitors with a hotkey, or set your own resistance level to determine how hard you have to push the pointer against the edge to move it to the next screen. Magnified slide notes on a laptop that is also projecting unmagnified slides via a beamer to a white screen.
Clone. Cloning options are available for a variety of teaching, training or collaboration scenarios. Clone with Standard view shows an unmagnified copy of any application on a second screen so one user with partial sight can work seamlessly with another with full sight. Clone magnifies the same content on multiple screens so several colleagues who are partially sighted can collaborate on the same application. Span simulates having one huge screen stretching your application across several monitors. Presentation Mode is made for Microsoft PowerPoint. You can have your speaker notes magnified on your laptop while your sighted audience sees your slides original size via a projector or large screen just as you intended.
Back to Top
Magnify and Read in Comfort
Line View. Line View smoothly scrolls documents and web pages across a single line so you can sit back and enjoy reading without the distraction of screen clutter. With Line View, you can set the font, colors and scrolling speed to suit your sight. Press the space bar to pause and resume scrolling, and use the arrow keys to fast forward or rewind.
Doc Reader. Doc Reader reflows your documents and web pages in a dedicated window made for reading. With the click of a button, SuperNova uses your choice of: font, colors and line length. Ideal for simplifying the appearance of busy documents. Press play and Doc Reader will speak aloud your text highlighting each sentence as it goes.
Margin Release. Margin release shows how close the magnifier is to the edge of the real screen ideal for people with restricted peripheral vision. You can keep your mouse pointer in the central area of your monitor by adding extra space around the original screen. The strong change in contrast clearly shows when the mouse pointer is approaching the edge.
Hooked Areas. SuperNova lets you save different hooks for different applications, and you can have as many as you want, helping you to keep useful information in view at all times. Monitor your word count or formula bar with a hooked area. Or just keep one eye on the clock!
Back to Top
Scan and Read Aloud
Scan and read paper documents and letters; SuperNova Magnifier & Speech includes inbuilt OCR (Optical Character Recognition) so you can independently read print documents. Just add a scanner! And because the OCR is a SuperNova feature, simply and conveniently choose the "Scan & Read" button on SuperNova's Bookshelf tab.
SuperNova's OCR can also be used to scan and read inaccessible digital PDF documents. Simply press the DocReader hotkey, CAPS+NUMPAD PLUS, when you're in Adobe Reader.
Back to Top
Touch Screen Magnification
People with low vision can easily access tablets and touch screen laptops with SuperNova. Only one finger is needed to pan SuperNova’s magnifier around documents and apps.Pinch and stretch with two fingers to change the amount of magnification in any app. Tap with three fingers to change colors and find more magnifier options. When you need to type on screen, SuperNova displays a high contrast large print keyboard that is easy to see.
Back to Top
Human Sounding Speech
Voices. SuperNova features the high quality, human sounding, Vocalizer Expressive text-to-speech synthesizer to read documents and apps out loud.
Alter voice preferences to suit your ear. Volume, speed and spelling speed can be finely tuned for all voices. Where your synthesizer allows, use SuperNova to create custom voices by adjusting: Pitch, Intonation, Roughness, Breathiness, Head size and Gender. Use one voice to speak everything, or separate voices to differentiate between: edit areas, prompt dialogs, menus, Dolphin Cursor or reading entire documents.
Speak as you type. Characters, words or both can be spoken aloud to improve confidence while writing in any text field such as a document or the Subject field of an email.
Read from Here. Read from Here is for when you simply want to have a document or web page spoken to you in its entirety. Start and stop reading with a single keystroke or mouse click. As the text is spoken, the current word and line is highlighted visually - ideal for sighted trainers or users with some sight.
Quick navigation keys skip forward and back through Microsoft Word documents, web pages in Internet Explorer and PDFs in Adobe Reader. At the touch of a key, rapidly locate:
- Form controls
Item Finder speeds up navigating complex documents and web pages by listing:
- Spelling Errors
- ARIA Landmarks
Back to Top
Bookshelf and Launch Pad
Conveniently browse and search millions of best sellers, classics and periodicals directly from SuperNova's Bookshelf tab. Content from Bookshare® and other trusted library partners is made instantly accessible with magnification and speech. Enjoy direct & instant access to millions of accessible books and newspapers. Read directly on your Windows device with SuperNova's magnification and speech. Alternatively take books with you; use SuperNova to transfer titles to portable MP3 and DAISY players for reading on the go.
Launch Pad provides instant access to audio, weather and book search. Press a couple of keys and you can listen to popular radio stations, the latest podcasts or read RSS News feeds. You can even use Launch Pad to lookup the dictionary definition of a word, find out the local weather forecast, search for books, and find walking directions.
Back to Top
Students at all stages of their education, whatever level of visual impairment, gain complete access to learning materials with SuperNova. Course notes, essays and revision are clearly magnified, spoken with high quality voices and accurately translated to literary Braille. Lecture slides, hand-outs and feedback produced electronically can be read by students with vision impairments using their ideal combination of magnification speech and Braille.
Students who are partially sighted or blind excel at schools and colleges where libraries and labs make their computers accessible with SuperNova. Assessors, special educational needs coordinators and tutors can be confident that however much the student's eyesight changes, SuperNova support and training is available throughout education and beyond.
Reading with SuperNova
- For students with usable vision - SuperNova smoothly magnifies all text and graphics on screen up to 60 times, tricky colours can be replaced, and adjustable pointer size prevents the mouse obscuring text.
- Focus on the most important content with SuperNova's Line View and Doc Reader that reflow text in a custom reading window using your preferred font and colours.
- When reading visually from the screen is not practicable, press one key to have familiar natural sounding voices read documents out loud using speakers or headphones. SuperNova includes thousands of speech exceptions to correct commonly mispronounced words, and the widest range of voice settings customise: speed, pitch and intonation to suit each student's learning style.
- Gain a deeper awareness of spelling punctuation and layout using literary Braille support, including the latest Unified English Braille Codes. Choose which buttons on your Braille display move forward and back through text. Sighted teaching assistance can follow along with Braille shown on screen.
- Research on the web from the keyboard is easy with SuperNova. You can cursor around the screen with the Dolphin Cursor, list and sort page elements with the item finder, jump instantly to controls headings and tables with SuperNova's Quick Navigation hotkeys.
- International students and those studying languages benefit from localised versions of SuperNova including multilingual speech output and dozens of Braille translation tables.
- Types of file widely used in education including: Microsoft Word documents,
PowerPoint Presentations, PDF and web pages, are magnified spoken and Brailled by SuperNova.
- Symbols used in technical subjects like science; maths, linguistics and music are announced as standard by SuperNova.
Writing with SuperNova
- At a glance see the position in your document. As you type SuperNova tracks and highlights the cursor continually.
- Touch type with confidence. SuperNova's Character Echo speaks back exactly what you type while you make notes or write up your dissertation.
- Hand in beautifully formatted assignments. SuperNova's text style options can automatically speak and Braille: bold, italics, underline, headings, table dimensions, spelling and grammar errors.
- Appreciate the physical layout of documents and quickly review your spelling and punctuation using Braille. Plus you can reduce the amount hands move between the Braille display and QWERTY keyboard with literary braille input. SuperNova accurately back-translates Your Braille to text that appears directly in your coursework.
- Students relying on speech can use application settings to have each situation read appropriately. For example a computer science student may need to hear all punctuation announced when working with computer code, but while using Facebook to arrange an end of term night out less punctuation is probably more appropriate.
- Many exam boards and institutions allow students, who are partially sighted or blind, to use SuperNova while taking exams.
- Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (Windows 7 KB3033929 & KB2670838 to be installed)
- 1.5 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor
- 2 GB RAM Memory
- 5.0 GB Hard disk available
- Windows 8/10: Graphics adaptor that supports at least DirectX 9.1 and has a WDDM 1.1+ driver. GPU should be integrated (shared system memory) or have a minimum 128MB of GPU RAM. 32-bit colour mode is required
- Video adapter limitations: External USB attached display adaptors are not supported. Windows 8/10 - for Multiple monitor support, all monitors must be connected to the same graphics card
- Sound card and speakers/headphones for speech output
- CD-ROM or DVD drive
- Minimum screen resolution 800x600
- Free major upgrades
Individuals/home users get 2 major upgrades.
Organizations receive upgrades for the duration of the agreement.
- Unlimited minor updates for immediate access to important bug fixes
- Priority product support via email or telephone (with a dedicated phone number exclusive to SMA owners)
- Remote access support
- Access to web resources
SMA must be purchased at the same time the software is purchased.
Since those early days they have lead the market with innovations like SuperNova, the only combined magnification, speech and Braille software. They were also the first company to offer any assistive technology on a USB thumb drive when they developed and launched the Dolphin Pen in 2006.
Dolphin constantly strives to ensure that the software solutions they produce deliver independence to our customers, which is what drives them to keep creating world class products that are innovative, easy-to-use and intuitive.
We deliver an unparalleled customer experience so you can support the health of your students to enable them to learn and perform to the best of their abilities.